Drilling is one of the most frequently used operations in production processes. Although it seems to be a simple procedure, often We face problems during this process. Usually We do not realize that this is the fastest way to remove material in the machining process. For example, We have to make 30mmx30mmx30mm size pocket. Drilling a hole with a diameter of Ø29mm and then perform a finishing machining of remnants, We are able to make the same pocket several times faster than standard pocket milling.
In this article, We offer you a precise drilling with high performance and maximum efficiency using KRUZ type drills. The main advantage of those drills are changeable insert which, become blunt or damaged can be replaced without necessity of replace the whole drill. Drilling inserts have a double mounting system. Drill body provides excellent chip evacuation and thus heat dissipation under high performance machining. The drill has groves for internal cooling which helps chip evacuation. Increased hardness of the body and a proper coating greatly increases the lubricity of the tool.
Dual clearance angle of IDP insert allows very efficient machining. Middle point set correctly drilling position and side edges cuts material. Thus, center drilling or pilot hole is not required.
More options when performing multiple operations with one tool will provide special tools made by request. Special tools allow step drilling, and drilling with chamfering in one operation. A special body can use the same inserts (IDF IDP) used in the standard type KRUZ drills. Special tool reduces machining time and minimizes the cost of tools.
Tips and comments:
Drilling with KRUZ type drills should be done using coolant through spindle.
– When drilling up to 1xD is possible to use external coolant.
– The large amount of coolant should be provided when drilling holes above 3xD.
– During drilling uneven surface, feed should be reduced from 30% to 50%. The same procedure should be performed during cross hole drilling and through holes with uneven surface while drill is leaving material.
– If the machine does not provide cooling through the spindle, it is recommended to use a special holder with coolant supply.
– If You receive a large hole roughness check holder runout or use a hydraulic chuck. You should also check the work piece mounting on the machine table.
– If You see pilot part chipping, You should check the holder mounting or use hydraulic chuck, increase coolant pressure; reduce feed; check detail clamping on the machine table.
– In case of the peripheral edge chipping You should check machine and chuck runout, or use a hydraulic chuck; check if body has been damaged; increase the coolant pressure.
– If there is excessive cutting edges wear You should: reduce the cutting speed; increase the feed; increase the coolant pressure.
– Where are noticeable chipping on the cutting edge, You should check the stability and rigidity of the mounting workpieces and drill in the holder; in the case of raw or leaning surface drilling, feed rate must be reduced by 30-50% at the entrance and exit of the material.
– If the drill vibrates, reduce the cutting speed and increase feed rate
– Insert wear signs: increased vibrations and noise; visible wear of cutting edges; increased power consumption shown by machine; quality decrease of the machined surface; reduced diameter of the machined hole